disney

The bids are in for RSN sale

The final bids were due last week for the 22 regional sports networks (RSNs) that are being sold as a part of the Disney/Fox deal.

All 22 RSNs could fetch up to $22B according to some estimates.

Potential buyers include:
1) Private equity companies
2) Sinclair Broadcast Group
3) Ice Cube

Those currently on the sideline include:
1) Fox Sports
2) Comcast/NBC Sports
3) Disney

The New York Yankees currently own 20% of the YES Network and may buy the remaining 80%.

Monthly subscriber fees for Fox’s priciest RSNs:
1)
YES Network — $6.37
2)
Fox Sports Detroit — $5.84
3)
Fox Sports Arizona — $4.84
4)
Fox Sports Ohio — $4.07
5)
Fox Sports Wisconsin — $3.22

Flashback #1: Big Ten TV revenue distribution reaches an insane $51 million per school

Each school in the Big Ten is projected to receive $51M from the Big Ten Network this year.

Revenue distribution per school:
1)
2013 — $25M
2)
2017 — $36M
3)
2018 — $51M (↑ 42% YoY)

Flashback #2: Sources: Cubs To Go Own Way In TV Venture

Current deal: The Cubs will get paid $750K per game next year for broadcast rights.

How much more could they make? How about 3X more! The Dodgers make ≈$2M per game in local broadcast rights through SportsNet LA.

Flashback #3: The Dodgers Are on a Roll but Fans Remain in the Dark Amid Cable-TV Dispute

The Dodgers are guaranteed $8.35B over 25 years from Time Warner (now Charter Communications).

That breaks down to an average of $334M/year!

In order to break even, the Network needs to make $1,988 from every pay-TV subscriber in the region or an average of $80/year.

More #1: 2018 MLB Regional TV Ratings In Prime Time Shows Continued Strong Popularity

More #2: Big decisions due on Fox RSNs, Cubs’ media rights

More #3: NFL certainly has its issues, but Major League Baseball is the one that’s truly suffering

READ NEXT

Want the latest insights from around the video advertising industry?
Subscribe to our State of the Screens Newsletter.

logo

Thank you

We have received your message and will be in touch shortly.

logo

Contact Us