Buying video advertising for TV and digital together is about to get a whole lot easier with last week’s announcement between Lotame and Inscape.
This opens up new opportunities such as:
1) Digital data for TV targeting — Think TV ratings based on in-store visits or shopping cart data.
2) TV data for digital targeting — Think digital audiences based on past TV viewership.
Who is Inscape? Inscape offers second-by-second TV viewership data collected from 8m TVs in the U.S. They are owned by Vizio.
How do they collect data? The data is collected through a technology known as Audio Content Recognition (ACR).
What is ACR? Audio Content Recognition (ACR) is a technology that identifies the content that is playing (TV show, etc.) based on what it hears. It is alternative to collecting viewership through panels (Nielsen, etc.) and/or set-top box data (ComScore, etc.).
Does this mean that my smart TV is listening? Yes, but so is your smartphone, tablet, and Alexa.
Flashback. First Annual TV & Video Advertising Survey
Key findings on use of cross screen data:
1) 71% say TV strategy influences digital strategy
2) 66% leverage digital data for TV buying
3) 61% leverage TV data for digital buying
4) 57% target TV viewers with digital ads